08 March 2014

First Sunday of Lent - Sunday, 9 March

My salvation and my honor depend on God, he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Psalm 62:7

Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 1 Timothy 1:15

I think we all could identify with Paul’s saying from 1 Timothy, I am sure we have all at some point felt unworthy of our salvation.That is what is so amazing about God – grace. Amazing grace.

I belong to a small Christian Group on the Internet. It is very supportive and loving. What I find so interesting about it is the understanding how different people view their salvation. Some people’s attitudes are simply inspiring. Some though make me feel sad.

People carry their crosses in different ways but I don’t think that Jesus would want us to be consumed with feelings of ‘being the worst’ or somehow being unworthy. Media fills our minds constantly with ideals of how we should live, with images of the ‘perfect’ bodies and competitive consumerism. These send peoples confidence and self worth into free-fall.

This isn’t what God would want for us – God is our rock, there is nothing as unmoving or strong as a rock and more than that God wants to be our refuge away from life’s storms. This builds up our confidence and self worth. We are worthy of our salvation – repentance of sin is part of our Christian walk. Being overly negative about ourselves isn’t. If we did this then that detracts from what Jesus did and the grace he shows us everyday.

Amazing Grace.

Lord, Help us to feel worthy of your grace and love.
We pray that we can build each other up in your love Lord, not knock each other down based on societies shallow expectations.
You saved us – may we never forget your amazing grace. Amen.


Lee Battle, Wilbraham St Ninians/ Metropolitan Church

No comments:

Post a Comment