20 March 2014

Friday, 21 March

And the LORD will become king over all the earth; on that day the Lord will be one and his name one. Zechariah 14:9

For us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist. 1 Corinthians 8:6

Zechariah isn't pulling any punches here. 'The day when the Lord will sit in judgment is near'. God means business. He will act, showing he is 'king over all the earth'. 'Everyone will worship him as God', and everyone will 'know him by the same name'. This is victory on a sweeping scale.
Oh, what unity! And what a strong appeal this prophecy has for those of us who live in a land with a history of crusades abroad and persecutions at home in days of yore, a land where right now different religions and denominations abound! What blessed unity! What a chance for lovely peace to thrive!

In my lifetime in England, significant religious changes have occurred which earlier seemed impossible; Protestants and Roman Catholics are friends; URC and Methodists share worship; Christians and Muslims are building bridges. Who would have thought it?

Forgive in me, Lord, any of my words and deeds which have seemed divisive. Let me hold out my hands in friendship and service to all your people who come into my life's sphere; let me hold in my prayers those I don't know and shall never see. Let my tongue speak, with courage, of you, Lord - your mighty acts and also loving ways - and let me help to bring about a time when all people will own You as their God, and call You by the same name. Amen.

Margaret Edwards

Wilbraham St Ninian’s

No comments:

Post a Comment