18 March 2014

Wednesday, 19 March

They shall never again defile themselves with their idols and their detestable things, or with any of their transgressions. I will save them from all the apostasies into which they have fallen, and will cleanse them. Then they shall be my people, and I will be their God. Ezekiel 37:23

He it is who gave himself for us that he might redeem us from all iniquity and purify for himself a people of his own who are zealous for good deeds. Titus 2:14

Visitors to the Multi Faith Centre at the Manchester Royal Infirmary will find ablution rooms for people of the Islamic faith to use before they pray.

They wash carefully – hands, feet, head and mouth, and as they do so they reflect on any wrong they have done : in words, thoughts, and actions. So the act of washing must be done with care and thought – almost an act of praying in itself – before they can focus on the prayer ritual.

Maybe physical and spiritual cleansing is an attempt towards purification. I’ve not met many people who could be described as pure; if we describe pure as being sinless, then newborn babies are the nearest.

I’ve met lots of people though who try their very hardest, and some who don’t try at all, but show us the way just the same. A young boy called James springs to my mind. His mum was in hospital, very scared, very anxious. At the age of just ten, James had wisdom beyond his years. He held his mum’s hand, told her not to be frightened, and how much he loved her. He gave me a big hug too, and asked if I was going to stay all night and look after his mum, because that was when she was most frightened. I explained that I couldn’t do that, but that we would say a prayer together and give his mum a blessing. James prayed with moving and poignant sincerity and then gave me a blessing.
I reckon we got pretty close to purity that evening.

Sarah Brewerton

Chorlton Central

No comments:

Post a Comment