10 April 2014

Friday, 11 April

‘As the Lord lives, whatever my God says, that I will speak.’
 2 Chronicles 18:13

‘I can do nothing on my own. As I hear, I judge; and my judgement is just, because I seek to do not my own will but the will of him who sent me. John 5:30

Where does your compass lead you? Compasses will show you the way. They point to the magnetic North Pole which at the moment lies somewhere over Greenland. All our GPS gadgetry has made this technology obsolete, nevertheless we never know if and when this complicated technology might fail.

Jesus showed us that it is humanly possible to align oneself to God as a compass needle aligns itself to the Earth’s magnetic field. Although Jesus took on human nature he was able to understand God’s word. The Word that lets us understand and experience God’s all embracing care. Jesus aligned himself fully to that Word. Like a compass needle pointing north Jesus points to God. He loved God with his whole heart, and he loved his neighbour as himself. Jesus lived the way God always intended us to live.

Today, we live broken lives. We often hurt other people even when we intend to do good. And there are many times when in pursuit of our own goals our spiritual compass needle is knocked off its intended direction. In Christ we have an example of how to live according to God’s will. But we have more than that. In Christ we have hope that despite all our failings God will restore our compass, restore our relationship with God.

Loving God, give us insight and wisdom to recognise your will, and may our lives always point to the one by whom all our lives are restored to the way you have intended. Amen

James Grant

St Clement’s & St Werburgh’s

No comments:

Post a Comment