17 April 2014

Good Friday, 18 April

For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving, abounding in steadfast love to all who call on you. Psalm 86:5

Then Jesus, crying with a loud voice, said, ‘Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.’ Having said this, he breathed his last. Luke 23:46

It is finished. We are at the end of a long journey. We began this journey on Ash Wednesday forty-five days ago. Jesus is at the end of his journey. Despite his pain Jesus is still remembering God’s steadfast love - the love which listens even in our darkest hour.

There is very little to offer in this time of grief than listening. Knowing that someone is there, someone who cares to listen - even if we don’t have anything to say - can give hope in this place.

We can know that God cares. That God holds us and is listening even though we might not realise it.

Gracious and loving God, let me know that in times of joy and sorrow you are at my side, listening. Grant me to know you as the gentle listener, who will hold me in my grief. Amen

James Grant

St Werburgh’s & St Clement’s

No comments:

Post a Comment